Cauliflower Green Bean Gratin
- 1 1/2 pounds cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 1 pound trimmed green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pints heavy cream
- 2 springs fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower. After 2 minutes, add green beans. When the green beans are bright green, remove everything and chill in cold water. Strain cooled vegetables and place in a 1-quart baking dish.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook for 15 minutes or until translucent, stirring occasionally. Raise heat to high and brown onions. Stir garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add cream and thyme. Bring to a low simmer and reduce by a third. Remove thyme springs. Turn off heat and stir in 1/2 cup parmesan and black pepper.
- Pour sauce over vegetables and top with remaining parmesan cheese and broil on high until desired doneness.
Recipe and photo provided by INFRA.